Every year, ten crew members are selected for the Carpentry Academy. Crew members are paid $15 per hour for six weeks of hands-on training at Eastern State Penitentiary under the instruction and support of experts at Window Repairs & Restoration and the Carpenters Joint Apprentice Training Center of Philadelphia & Vicinity. No experience is required to apply for the Carpentry Academy. While working at Eastern State, crew members will learn about the many ways to shape a career in the construction industry, prepare for the apprenticeship exam, and gain the foundational skills needed to kickstart a career as a carpenter.
After the academy, graduates are encouraged to participate in the intake process for the Philadelphia Carpenters’ Apprenticeship Program – the first step toward a career with living wages, healthcare and retirement benefits, and opportunities for continuous career advancement.
The next Carpentry Academy begins February 27!
Applications for our 2023 Carpentry Academy are now closed. Check back soon for information on future cycles.
Here are some important milestones for applicants:
Choose one to attend. RSVP required.
- Tuesday, December 6, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (Virtual)
- Wednesday, December 7, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (In Person - PA CareerLink Suburban Station)
- Thursday, December 15, 5:30 - 6:30 pm (Virtual)
- Thursday, January 5, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (In Person - PA CareerLink Suburban Station)
- Thursday, January 5, 5:30 - 6:30 pm (Virtual)
Worksite Demonstration Day:
Attend this mandatory event to learn what to expect during The Carpentry Academy. Meet the team, take a skills test, attend a carpentry demonstration, take a worksite visit and mini tour, and participate in a question & answer session.
- Wednesday, January 11, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (In Person - Eastern State Penitentiary)
Other Important Dates:
- Virtual Interviews – January 18 & 19
- Academy Begins – February 27
- Academy Ends – April 7
The work of the Preservation Trades Center and the Carpentry Academy would not be possible without the tremendous support of our partners Window Repairs & Restoration LLC, Carpenters Joint Apprentice Training Center of Philadelphia & Vicinity, Rebuild, and PA CareerLink.