Every year, ten crew members are selected for the Carpentry Academy. Crew members are paid $15 per hour for six weeks of hands-on training at Eastern State Penitentiary under the instruction and support of experts at Window Repairs & Restoration and the Carpenters Joint Apprentice Training Center of Philadelphia & Vicinity. No experience is required to apply for the Carpentry Academy. While working at Eastern State, crew members will learn about the many ways to shape a career in the construction industry, prepare for the apprenticeship exam, and gain the foundational skills needed to kickstart a career as a carpenter.
After the academy, graduates are encouraged to participate in the intake process for the Philadelphia Carpenters’ Apprenticeship Program – the first step toward a career with living wages, healthcare and retirement benefits, and opportunities for continuous career advancement.
The next Carpentry Academy begins February 27! Here are some important milestones for applicants:
- Tuesday, December 6, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (Virtual)
- Wednesday, December 7, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (In Person - PA CareerLink Suburban Station)
- Thursday, December 15, 5:30 - 6:30 pm (Virtual)
- Thursday, January 5, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (In Person - PA CareerLink Suburban Station)
- Thursday, January 5, 5:30 - 6:30 pm (Virtual)
Worksite Demonstration Day:
Attend this mandatory event to learn what to expect during The Carpentry Academy. Meet the team, take a skills test, attend a carpentry demonstration, take a worksite visit and mini tour, and participate in a question & answer session.
- Wednesday, January 11, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (In Person - Eastern State Penitentiary)
Other Important Dates:
- Virtual Interviews – January 18 & 19
- Academy Begins – February 27
- Academy Ends – April 7
Applications will be accepted through January 6, 2023. For questions about eligibility and the application process, please contact Shaun Guess at [email protected].
The work of the Preservation Trades Center and the Carpentry Academy would not be possible without the tremendous support of our partners Window Repairs & Restoration LLC, Carpenters Joint Apprentice Training Center of Philadelphia & Vicinity, Rebuild, and PA CareerLink.