Eastern State Penitentiary offers scholarships to reimburse the costs of transportation (up to $200) for qualifying schools. Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. We are no longer accepting applications for 2018. Please contact Samantha Hunter at [email protected] if you are interested in transportation scholarships for 2019. Scholarships will only cover bus or Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) transportation cost. Guided tours and admission for Philadelphia public and charter schools are always free.
- 51% of the student population must qualify for free or reduced-price lunches through the National School Lunch Program.
- Schools within the Philadelphia School District are given priority.
- Eastern State Penitentiary will reimburse your school by check. Eastern State Penitentiary will not pay the bus company or SEPTA directly.
- Your school must handle all transportation logistics. These logistics include:
For Buses: contacting a bus company, scheduling a bus, and/or communicating to the bus company the pick-up and drop-off times and locations.
For SEPTA: planning route, deciding mode of transportation, and token/ticket purchasing. For more information regarding SEPTA, visit http://www.septa.org/. If using SEPTA, please ensure that all members of the tour group arrive on time for the scheduled tour slot.
- In order for your school to be reimbursed, a copy of the paid in full bus invoice or SEPTA token receipt must be presented upon arrival or received by December 31, 2018.
- If the school cancels the field trip and fails to cancel the transportation arrangement, the school will be responsible for any transportation cancellation fees/penalties or the cost of the transportation.
How to Apply:
- We are no longer accepting applications for 2018. Please contact Samantha Hunter at [email protected] if you are interested in transportation scholarships for 2019.