PLEASE NOTE: All available transportation scholarships have been awarded for 2017. Apply now for 2018!
Eastern State Penitentiary offers scholarships to reimburse the costs of transportation (up to $200) for qualifying schools. Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis through December 2017. Because funding is limited, we encourage you to apply early. Scholarships will only cover bus or Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) transportation cost. Guided tours and admission for Philadelphia public and charter schools are always free.
- 51% of the student population must qualify for free or reduced-price lunches through the National School Lunch Program.
- Schools within the Philadelphia School District are given priority.
- Eastern State Penitentiary will reimburse your school by check. Eastern State Penitentiary will not pay the bus company or SEPTA directly.
- Your school must handle all transportation logistics. These logistics include:
For Buses: contacting a bus company, scheduling a bus, and/or communicating to the bus company the pick-up and drop-off times and locations.
For SEPTA: planning route, deciding mode of transportation, and token/ticket purchasing. For more information regarding SEPTA, visit http://www.septa.org/. If using SEPTA, please ensure that all members of the tour group arrive on time for the scheduled tour slot.
- In order for your school to be reimbursed, a copy of the paid in full bus invoice or SEPTA token receipt must be presented upon arrival or received by December 31, 2017.
- If the school cancels the field trip and fails to cancel the transportation arrangement, the school will be responsible for any transportation cancellation fees/penalties or the cost of the transportation.
How to Apply:
- After booking your trip, complete and submit the application form below.
- Applications must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled visit. Failure to submit the application in advance will disqualify the school from participating in the program.
- Eastern State Penitentiary will notify your school before your visit if the scholarship has been approved.
If you have questions, please contact Samantha Hunter (Specialist, Education) at 215-236-5111 x220 or by email at [email protected].
To book your trip, please contact our Group Tour Department at 215-236-5111 x210 or by email at [email protected].