Self-Guided Audio Tours Available Now
Due to current COVID-19 precautions, we are only scheduling self-guided audio tours for groups who wish to tour the site at this time. When your group arrives, you'll each get an mp3 player and disposable earbuds that will guide you on a one-way path through the penitentiary. Groups must follow all new health and safety guidelines, including social distancing, and enter the site 6 visitors at a time within minutes of each other. Before you plan you visit, please review our Reopening Information page for details.
Guide-Led Tours Available Again Soon, Booking Now
While guide-led tours are temporarily unavailable, we are accepting future reservations (spring 2021 and beyond) with the understanding they can be cancelled by either party, at any time.
Although most of our visitors prefer the standard basic history tour, Eastern State can tailor the tour to your group's interest. When booking your tour, please let us know if you would like your tour to focus on one or more of the following topics: religious influence, architecture, criminal justice, or escapes.
- Guided Kids Tour - Designed with students in mind, this interactive tour is a favorite among elementary through high school teachers and tour leaders, and is also great for summer camps and scout groups. Recommended for kids 10 years of age and older. Led by one of our educators. Limited to groups of 15 to 150. 1 hour. Note: Tours are not recommended for children under the age of seven (7).
- Guided Adult Tour - Perfect for college classes as well as senior citizen and professional groups. This general interest tour highlights Eastern State’s fascinating 142-year history, revolutionary architecture, notorious prisoners and world-wide influence. Led by one of our educators. Limited to groups of 15 to 150. 1 hour.
- Guided Quick-Glance Tour - This 30-minute highlights tour is perfect for groups primarily coming to Eastern State to sketch or photograph the building or for groups with limited time. Following your tour, the group is welcome to remain on site after their tour at no additional charge to photograph, sketch, or view the artist installations and history exhibits until the site closes at 5 pm. Limited to groups of 15 to 150. 30 minutes.
- Eastern State After Hours (Available April through mid-September) - This general interest tour highlights Eastern State’s fascinating 142-year history, revolutionary architecture, notorious inmates and world-wide influence. Tours may be scheduled after 5:30 pm and 90 minutes prior to sunset. Led by one of our educators. Limited to groups of 15 to 150. 1 hour. $50 surcharge.
- Organized Crime: Prohibition Era - The guided portion of the tour takes around 60 minutes and during this time your group will learn about crime, scandal, and the unique struggles of the 20th century. This tour focuses on the organized crime figures who spent time at Eastern State, including the notorious “Scarface” Al Capone. After your guided tour, for 30 minutes your group will enjoy one 1920s-style cocktail at Al Capone’s cell per person. These tours must begin at least 90 minutes prior to sunset. Led by one of our educators. Limited to groups of 15 to 150. $19 per person.
Discounted rates are available for groups of 15 or more. Current group rates are $11 for adults, $10 for seniors, and $8 for students and kids (7-12). One complimentary pass per 15 paying visitors.
Plus, Virtual Group Tours Available Now!
Looking for a unique, guide-led experience for your group? Eastern State Penitentiary’s award-winning tour program is now available to virtual groups everywhere! Learn more here.