We look forward to welcoming you back to Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site! The health and safety of our staff and visitors remains our top priority, and we will follow all guidelines issued by the City of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Here’s what you can expect during your visit:
Hours of Operation
We will reopen to the public on Friday, August 14. In our first phase of reopening, we will be open Friday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Members will be invited to special evening preview hours on Friday, August 7. If you’re a Member, you’ll receive more on how to register for this early access by email. Questions? Contact us at [email protected]. Not a Member? Join today!
Advanced Tickets Required
All tickets must be purchased online in advance. No tickets will be available at the door. In order to maintain 25% capacity and allow for physical distancing, visitors will select a 30-minute entry window.
Timed reservations are not required for Eastern State members; visitors with free ticket vouchers; visitors utilizing our accessible, discounted admission programs (e.g. ACCESS Card); Library Pass holders; or visitors who have purchased tickets through a third party such as CityPASS.
Health and Safety
- Staff and visitors (ages 2+) will be required to wear a face mask over their nose and mouth at all times. If you do not have your own mask, you can purchase a fabric mask when you buy your ticket online.
- Hand sanitizer will be available, and visitors will be asked to sanitize their hands before entering the site.
- Physical distancing will be required in any queues and throughout the site. Markers will be present to help ensure that groups of visitors remain 6 feet apart at all times.
- When possible, doors will be propped open to increase ventilation of enclosed areas.
- Cleaning, particularly of high-touch areas, will be increased.
- Plexiglass shields will be installed in admissions and at any other points of contact.
Other Changes to Your Visit
- Visitors will follow a linear, one-way path through the site. Areas of the penitentiary accessible along this path include our main audio tour route (Cellblocks 1 and 4, central surveillance hub), the baseball field (including The Big Graph), Prisons Today, Cellblock 15 (Death Row), Cellblocks 2, 10, and 9, and Al Capone’s Cell.
- We will not offer group tours, guide-led tours, or Hands-On History experiences at this time. All events (e.g. The Searchlight Series) will remain virtual unless otherwise stated.
- Printed maps will not be available. You may take a photo of a map displayed in front of the penitentiary or view a digital map, which will be made available on our website.
- All audio guides will be thoroughly sanitized between uses. Disposable earbuds will be distributed, or feel free to bring your own.
- Our typical photography guidelines remain; however, tripods will not be allowed on site.
- Cash cannot be accepted at this time.
- Our museum store will be closed. Drinks and other convenience items will be available for purchase in admissions using credit/debit cards only. We will also have limited merchandise for sale at a small pop-up store outside on the baseball field. In addition, you can shop our online store.
- Our bag check will be closed, so please consider limiting what you bring with you.
- Restrooms on site are limited to a three-stall restroom trailer with flush toilets and running water. One stall is ADA accessible. Restrooms will be cleaned frequently throughout the day, and physical distancing will be required when queuing here or anywhere on site.
Still have questions?
Contact us at [email protected] or 215-236-3300 for more information.