Please Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are temporarily closed to the public until further notice. Visit this page for the latest closure updates and ways to connect with us online.
The health and safety of our staff and visitors remains our top priority, and we will follow all guidelines issued by the City of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Read on or watch the video at the bottom of this page to learn more about what you can expect during your visit:
Hours of Operation
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are temporarily closed to the public until further notice.
Advanced Tickets Required
All tickets must be purchased online in advance. No tickets will be available at the door. In order to maintain 25% capacity and allow for physical distancing, visitors will select a 30-minute entry window.
For daytime tours, timed reservations are not required for Eastern State members; visitors with free ticket vouchers or BOGO passes; visitors utilizing our accessible, discounted admission programs (e.g. ACCESS Card); Library Pass holders; or visitors who have purchased tickets through a third party such as CityPASS.
Health and Safety
- Staff and visitors (ages 2+) are required to wear a face mask over their nose and mouth at all times. If you do not have your own mask, you can purchase a fabric mask when you buy your ticket online.
- Hand sanitizer is available, and visitors will be asked to sanitize their hands before entering the site.
- Physical distancing is required in any queues and throughout the site. Markers will be present to help ensure that groups of visitors remain 6 feet (2 meters) apart at all times.
- When possible, doors will be propped open to increase ventilation of enclosed areas.
- Cleaning, particularly of high-touch areas, has been increased.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed in admissions and at any other points of contact.
Other Changes to Your Visit
- Visitors must follow a linear, one-way path through the site. Areas of the penitentiary accessible along this path include our main audio tour route (Cellblocks 1 and 4, central surveillance hub), the baseball field (including The Big Graph), Prisons Today, Cellblock 15 (Death Row), Cellblocks 2, 10, and 9, and Al Capone’s Cell.
- We are not offering our large guide-led group tours, our public guide-led tour or Hands-On History experiences at this time. All events (e.g. The Searchlight Series) will remain virtual unless otherwise stated.
- To reduce contact, you may take a photo of a map displayed in front of the penitentiary or view a digital map by clicking here or scanning one of the QR codes on site.
- All audio guides are thoroughly sanitized between uses. Disposable earbuds are distributed, or feel free to bring your own.
- Our typical photography guidelines remain; however, tripods and other equipment are not allowed on site.
- Cash cannot be accepted at this time.
- Our museum store is closed. Drinks and other convenience items are available for purchase in admissions using credit/debit cards only. We also have limited merchandise for sale at a small pop-up store outside on the baseball field. In addition, you can shop our online store.
- Our bag check is closed, so please consider limiting what you bring with you.
- Restrooms on site are limited to a three-stall restroom trailer with flush toilets and running water (located near the start of your tour). One stall is ADA accessible. Restrooms are cleaned frequently throughout the day, and physical distancing is required when queuing here or anywhere on site.
Still have questions?
Contact us at [email protected] or 215-236-3300 for more information.
For a closed captioned version of this video, please click here.