The health and safety of our staff and visitors remains our top priority, and we will meet or exceed all guidelines issued by the City of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Read on to learn more about what you can expect during your visit.
Hours of Operation
The penitentiary is currently open for daytime tours Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Plus, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings from May 7 through September 4, 2021, visitors can explore Eastern State as the sun goes down at special event, Night Tours: Summer Twilight.
Can't wait for fall? Learn more about our reimagined Halloween fundraiser at www.HalloweenNights.org.
Tickets Available Online / At The Door
Tickets for both daytime tours and Night Tours: Summer Twilight are available online and at the door, subject to availability.
Tickets for daytime tours are not time-specific and can be redeemed any time, up to one year from the purchase date. When purchasing tickets for Night Tours: Summer Twilight, you'll be asked to select a 30-minute, timed entry window.
Worry-Free Booking Policy
We offer a worry-free online booking policy for daytime tours. This policy allows the flexibility to make reservation changes, including cancellations and refunds, up to 24 hours in advance of your visit, without incurring fees. Simply send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know if you'd like to reschedule or request a refund.
Please note: There are no refunds or exchanges for special events, including Night Tours and Halloween Nights at Eastern State Penitentiary.
Health and Safety
- In accordance with guidelines issued by the City of Philadelphia and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, all staff and visitors (ages 2+) are required to wear a mask in indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status.
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the penitentiary.
- Cleaning, particularly of high-touch areas, has been increased.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed in admissions and at any other points of contact.
Other Changes to Your Visit
- When you arrive, you'll be asked to stay on a linear, one-way route as you listen to our main audio tour (audio stops 1-10). The main audio tour ends at The Big Graph and its climate-controlled companion exhibit Prisons Today. From there, you can choose to follow our suggested routes or explore any open areas of the penitentiary freely.
- We are not offering guide-led group tours, our public guide-led tour, or Hands-On History experiences at this time.
- To reduce contact, you may take a photo of a map displayed in front of the penitentiary or view a digital map online or scanning one of the QR codes on site. Click here for a daytime tour map. Click here for a Night Tours: Summer Twilight map.
- All audio guides and headphones are thoroughly sanitized between uses.
- Our museum store has been relocated to our Dialogue Space, adjacent to the Prisons Today exhibit. In addition, drinks and convenience items are available for purchase in admissions. You can also shop online!
- Restrooms on site are limited to a three-stall restroom trailer with flush toilets and running water (located near the start of your tour). One stall is ADA accessible. Restrooms are cleaned frequently throughout the day,
Contact us at [email protected] or 215-236-3300 for more information.
We’re proud to join the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau in registering for a SafeTravels Stamp from the World Travel & Tourism Council, signaling our commitment to safely welcoming visitors from around the globe.