The health and safety of our staff and visitors remains our top priority, and we will always meet or exceed all guidelines issued by the City of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. All policies are subject to change as we continue to monitor trends. Read on to learn more about what you can expect during your visit.
Hours of Operation
The penitentiary is currently open for daytime tours every day from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Plus, join us for Night Tours: Summer Twilight on Thursday through Sunday evenings from May 6 to September 4.
How to Purchase Tickets
Tickets are available online and at the door, subject to availability.
Worry-Free Booking Policy
We offer a worry-free online booking policy for daytime tours. This policy allows the flexibility to make reservation changes, including cancellations and refunds, up to 24 hours in advance of your visit, without incurring fees. Simply email [email protected] and let us know if you'd like to reschedule or request a refund.
Please note: There are no refunds or exchanges for special events, including Night Tours and Halloween Nights at Eastern State Penitentiary.
Health and Safety
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the penitentiary.
- Cleaning, particularly of high-touch areas, has been increased.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed in admissions and at any other points of contact.
- Visitors are not required to provide proof of vaccination at this time. All Eastern State staff have been fully vaccinated.
- Per state and city guidelines, masks are not required at this time; however, all visitors and staff who choose to wear a mask are welcome to do so.
Other Changes to Your Visit
- To reduce contact, you may take a photo of a map displayed in front of the penitentiary or view a digital map online or scanning one of the QR codes on site.
- All audio guides and headphones are thoroughly sanitized between uses.
- Restrooms on site are limited to a three-stall restroom trailer with flush toilets and running water (located near the start of your tour) and two port-a-potties (located near The Big Graph at the end of the main tour route). One stall in each area is ADA accessible. Restrooms are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
Contact us at [email protected] or 215-236-3300 for more information.
We’re proud to join the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau in registering for a SafeTravels Stamp from the World Travel & Tourism Council, signaling our commitment to safely welcoming visitors from around the globe.