Below are answers to some common questions about membership at Eastern State. Have a question that we don’t address here? Contact us at [email protected] or 215-236-5111 x224. We’re happy to help!
Health and safety are our top priority. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are temporarily closed to the public. We plan to reopen the site in March 2021. Visit this page for the latest closure updates and ways to connect with us online.
When we do reopen, you'll notice some important changes on site. All staff and visitors (ages 2+) will be required to wear a face mask over their nose and mouth at all times, and physical distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters) will be required. Before you visit, please review our Health and Safety page for details on other changes.
And yes! In addition to all the usual benefits of membership, members will get some additional perks when we reopen including --
- Free admission, no reservation required. Visitors will be required to purchase timed tickets in advance. When we reopen, members can show up whenever they please, no reservation necessary, and will also be able to use their one-time guest passes at any time.
- Express admissions line. Cut down on your entry time! Members enter through a special, separate queue.
There are many easy ways to join or renew:
- Online. Click here to join. Click here to locate and renew your membership. You’ll need your member number and the primary Member’s last name (found on the back of your member card) to renew online.
- By email. Email us at [email protected].
- By phone. Call (215) 236-5111 x224.
- By mail. Complete this form and mail with your payment to Membership Department, Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site, 2027 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19130.
- On site. Visit admissions or the museum store to join. Did you visit in the last seven days? You can apply recent admission fees to your membership with a receipt.
Did you visit in the last seven days? If so, then yes! With a receipt, you can apply the admission fees you already paid to your membership purchase. If you're still on site, show your receipt in admissions or at the museum store. If you're already home, call us at 215-236-5111 x224 or email a copy of your receipt to [email protected].
Yes! A gift of membership supports our mission to interpret the legacy of American criminal justice reform. Our welcome packet makes a great present complete with a custom magnet, guest passes and personalized member card, all this plus a year of meaningful experiences and exclusive benefits.
To give the gift of membership, follow this link and choose the membership level that you would like to purchase. Please note the following when completing your transaction:
- Primary Member contact information is the gift recipient.
- When completing the shipping section, use the gift recipient’s address to ship the welcome packet directly to them (allow approximately two weeks for processing). Otherwise, the welcome packet will be sent to the gift giver.
A confirmation email to the gift giver will contain a temporary member card welcoming the gift recipient to the member program. This temporary member card is a great way to share the news of the gift.
We love our neighbors and look forward to welcoming you to our community! Contact the us at 215-236-5111 x224 or [email protected]tate.org for more information about special offers just for Fairmount residents.
You can begin using your membership the day you join. If you join online, look for a temporary member card attached to your confirmation email, which you can show our admissions staff upon arrival. You will receive a packet in the mail with your physical member card and other materials in approximately two weeks.
Your membership is valid for one year from the last day of the month you join.
New members will receive their member card(s) in approximately two weeks. If you joined online, you will receive a temporary member card attached to your confirmation email which you can use in the meantime.
Renewing members will not receive new member card(s) and can continue using their current card(s) as long as they renew.
Keep your card(s). Each consecutive year in which you renew, we will automatically reactivate the same card(s). This helps us stay green, and also ensures you have a seamless experience.
We recommend that you bring your member card with you when visiting Eastern State for a smooth Member entry experience. However, if you have misplaced your card or do not have your card with you during your visit, you can check in with your name in admissions.
If you’ve misplaced your member card and would like to request a replacement, please email us at [email protected] or call 215-236-5111 x224.
All members receive two benefits related to guest admission:
- Free, unlimited daytime admission to the historic site for you and additional guests
- Complimentary one-time guest pass(es) mailed in your welcome packet
Every time you visit Eastern State, you’ll receive free admission for the number of individuals your membership allows (e.g. Dual – 2 people, Family and Friends – 4 people, Ambassador – 8 people). When you join or renew, you’ll also receive additional guest passes in your welcome packet that you can give to friends or family to visit anytime, with or without you.
Members receive exclusive discounts on Eastern State ticketed events all year long. Look for pre-sale opportunities and other membership perks for events via email. Not sure if we have the best email address for you? Email us at [email protected] or call 215-236-5111 x224 to make sure you receive these offers.
Members at the Friends and Family level and above enjoy reciprocal benefits at participating museums throughout the country through the North American Reciprocal Museums (NARM) Program. Show the NARM logo on your member card and receive up to two complimentary admissions to all participating museums, excluding those within a 15-mile radius of Eastern State.
Yes! Eastern State offers an organizational membership for libraries that would like to allow their patrons to “check-out” a visit to our historic site. Library Museum Passes are valid for one year after date of purchase. They may be borrowed and used by any active patron of your library to access free daytime historic tour admission to Eastern State for up to six people. Learn more about this program and apply here!
Your membership contribution is tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. The welcome letter in your membership packet will detail the tax deductibility of your membership.
By providing your email address, you will receive our quarterly Member News and stay up to date on all the ways you can make the most of your membership, including invitations to members-only experiences, discounts on ticketed events, and other member-related news that may not be mailed to homes. Not sure if we have the best email address for you? Email us at [email protected] or call 215-236-5111 x224 to make sure we can reach you with the latest news.