Thank you for your interest in Eastern State Penitentiary's artist proposal process! The proposal window for our 2024 season closed on Wednesday, June 14, 2023. More information about the proposal cycle for 2025 will be shared sometime in early 2024.
Click here to view the artist proposal guidelines for our 2024 season.
We strongly recommend that applicants begin the proposal process by attending an art orientation. These informal tours/conversations give artists a chance to learn about the space, discuss what makes a proposal successful, and ask questions. There is no charge for attending an art orientation. The art orientation schedule will be announced in early 2024.
If you have questions, please contact Damon McCool at [email protected]. If you are unable to attend a live orientation, you can watch a pre-recorded orientation here.
Proposal Deadline & Submission
Proposal deadline and submission information will be announced in early 2024. Proposals should be submitted via the online portal, which will open for the next cycle in summer 2024. If it is difficult or impossible to access the Internet or submit a proposal online, please write, call, or email us. Exceptions are possible, evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site
2027 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Pre-recorded virtual art orientation
- Sample Proposals
- Linda Brenner’s proposal for The Ghost Cats, 2004.
- Dayton Castleman’s proposal for The End of the Tunnel, 2005.
- Ruth Scott Blackson's proposal for No Trace Without Resistance, 2015.
- Emily Waters' proposal for America's Ten Worst Prisons: The Plate Collection, 2015.
- Jesse Krimes' proposal for Apokaluptein16389067:II, 2015
- Current Installations
- Past Installations