The Visitor Experience 2017
August 21, 2017
The Six Attractions:
Terror Behind the Walls consists of six haunted attractions that create a seamless experience for visitors. All six attractions are included in one admission price.
As visitors enter Terror Behind the Walls, they are confronted with a critical decision: should they explore the prison and watch the action, or should they mark themselves to truly interact with the denizens of the cellblocks? Those who opt in for true interactivity may be grabbed, held back, sent into hidden passageways, removed from their group, and even occasionally incorporated into the show. They will deal with the consequences of their decision through six long attractions:
- Lock Down: Visitors enter the looming façade of Cellblock 12, said to be the most haunted location inside the penitentiary. Rioting zombie inmates have taken over, zombie guards have lost control, and the chaotic scene is filled with thick fog and mangled bars. Guests are led to the second floor for an eerie view down the long-abandoned cellblock corridor, and finally through a lineup of zombies, all standing very, very still…. Some visitors leave after Lock Down. It’s that intimidating.
- Machine Shop: Hidden deep inside the cellblocks is a long-forgotten machine shop. Evil pervades this space – an evil with one mind but with many bodies. Will visitors survive, or will they become just another cog in the machine? This one-of-a-kind attraction features intense startles, immersive one-on-one experiences, and gruesome industrial scenes.
- NEW for 2017! Blood Yard: Within the ruins of the prison compound, visitors discover the camp of a gruesome colony. A path marked with bones leads them deeper into the lair of the butcher, the warriors, and their ancient empress – the forgotten who now reside amongst the fragments of the lost prison. The beating of the drums becomes louder and louder, faster and faster. Finally they reach the source – a gory site of gnawed bones and decayed flesh. The carnage sends a clear message: you could be next.
- Infirmary: Infirmary takes the fear of hospitals to a whole new level. Visitors discover the world of prison medical treatment, including shock therapy, hydrotherapy, and other torturous experiments gone wrong. If visitors aren’t careful, they may become patients themselves.
- Quarantine: 4D: Inside Quarantine: 4D, visitors learn of an infectious outbreak, whose symptoms include hallucinations, blurry vision, distorted depth perception, and other mind-altering effects. Flat walls appear to have depth, creatures emerge from (seemingly) nowhere, and some brave visitors will be challenged to face their worst fears.
- Break Out: Just when visitors think they have found freedom, they find themselves in the middle of a prison break! Zombie inmates surround them using every way imaginable to escape the zombie SWAT Team, including barrels, ropes, tunnels, ladders and crates. Visitors must keep an eye out at every corner, as the undead prisoners may even be using them to aid in their attempt to gain freedom.
For fans seeking the ultimate Halloween adventure, Terror Behind the Walls offers several VIP Experiences that can be added to a guest’s visit.
- After Dark VIP Tour: The experience begins with an hour-long, guided flashlight walking tour of the penitentiary, including the cellblocks and prison hospital. Visitors hear about riots, escapes, and other scandalous incidents throughout Eastern State's history. Following the tour, visitors are escorted to the front of the Terror Behind the Walls lines and experience all six haunted attractions. Ticket includes a souvenir photo of the group and a TBTW LED flashlight. Tickets available online only.
- The Hex Challenge: Terror Behind the Walls invites visitors to take interactivity to the next level. At the beginning of each of the six attractions, visitors enter a secret room. They are dared to step further into the story, to become part of the action, to take on challenges, to join forces with the zombies, and ultimately, to escape the massive haunted prison. The Hex Challenge is available every show night for an additional fee. Tickets available online only.
- Fright and a BITE: The “Fright and a BITE” dinner package includes a Halloween-themed meal at a participating local restaurant, plus tickets to Terror Behind the Walls. Visitors simply make a reservation at the restaurant of their choice, and Terror Behind the Walls tickets arrive with dessert! Menus are available at EasternState.org/VIP.
- The Speakeasy: After experiencing Terror Behind the Walls, visitors can extend their visit at The Speakeasy at Al Capone’s Cell. Live entertainment includes a lounge singer, tarot card reader, contortionist, and table games. Visitors also enjoy a complimentary cocktail, Yards beer, or Coca-Cola soft drink. Ticket add-on available online or at the door.