Every year, ten crew members are selected for the Masonry Academy. Crew members are paid $15 per hour for four weeks of hands-on training at Eastern State Penitentiary under the instruction and support of expert masons at Pullman and professional conservators. No experience is required to apply for the Masonry Academy.
While working at Eastern State, crew members will learn about the many ways to shape a career in the construction industry and gain the foundational skills needed to kickstart a career as a mason. Throughout the academy, crew members will meet and network with local masonry contractors interested in hiring graduates of the Masonry Academy.
The next Masonry Academy begins May 8! Here are some important milestones for applicants:
- Info Session #1 (Virtual) — February 28, 6:00 pm
- Info Session #2 (In-Person at 2300 Master St.) — March 1, 12:00 pm
- Info Session #3 (Virtual) — March 3, 12:00 pm
- Application Opens — March 3
- Application Closes — March 10 (End of Day)
- Demonstration Day (In-Person at Eastern State Penitentiary) — March 16, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Interviews (Virtual) — March 22 & 23 (Dates TBC)
- Academy Begins — May 8
- Academy Ends — June 2
Applications for our 2023 Masonry Academy are now closed. Please check back soon for additional opportunities.
For questions about eligibility and the application process, please contact Shaun Guess at [email protected] or Ali Martinez at [email protected].
The work of the Preservation Trades Center would not be possible without the tremendous support of our partners Pullman, PowerCorpsPHL, Rebuild, and PA CareerLink.