General Policies for All Photographers
Eastern State Penitentiary may be the most picturesque place you’ve seen in years. We encourage you to bring a camera when visiting the historic site, but we ask that you honor these policies when photographing here:
- Do not block any pathways or exhibits, or leave backpacks or tripods in these areas.
- Refrain from loud conversations and avoid gathering along the audio tour route.
- No smoking is permitted anywhere within the penitentiary complex.
- Please do not touch or move any objects or artifacts.
- No models or props are permitted during public hours.
- There can be no nudity, semi-nudity, or sexually explicit images
filmed at Eastern State Penitentiary.
- Eastern State Penitentiary charges a $10.00 fee, per person with a tripod, monopod, or easel, to all non-members. This pass is valid for the entire season. There is no fee for handheld cameras. No equipment, other than a single tripod, monopod or easel, is permitted during public hours.
- Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site requires the location credit "Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, PA" in all uses of penitentiary photos in print, on the web, in broadcast, and in any other public medium.
- Eastern State Penitentiary assumes no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage to equipment.
Any photographer (professional, amateur, or student), ad agency, or other commercial entity wishing to photograph models, photograph in non-public spaces, or conduct shoots that require equipment aside from a single tripod, monopod, easel, or stool should visit our Site Rental page for still photography.