Front Tower

The front tower originally housed an alarm bell at the level of the louvers and a clock which faced the cell blocks. The louvers can be seen in the QTVR of the fa├žade (stop #1). After over 170 years, the front tower remains the tallest structure on the 11-acre penitentiary complex.

Scroll down to see a "Bird's-Eye View of the Penitentiary, taken from the Tower over the Main Entrance." In this photo, taken some time before 1877, Girard College is visible in the background (top right) and the exercise yards for Cellblocks Seven (left) and One (right) are visible in the foreground.

Click and drag on the image to swivel the camera's view.
Having trouble?