Cellblock 4

When Cellblocks One, Two, and Three were completed in 1829, it was clear that the new prison wouldn’t be large enough. The state legislature directed Architect John Haviland to make the remaining four cellblocks two stories high so that they could hold more inmates. Completed in 1833, Cellblock Four was Haviland’s first two story cell block. Cellblock Four closely resembles Cellblocks Five and Six, which were both completed in 1835. A food cart that ran along tracts on the second floor is visible in the middle of the cellblock.

Click and drag on the image to swivel the camera's view.
Having trouble?